Porter Valley Parks, Sheffield, England
Record Id: 4507
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
The Porter Valley Parks are a linked sequence of public parks and green spaces created along the valley of the Porter Brook between 1855 and 1938. They comprise Endcliffe Park (15.5 hectares), Bingham Park (24.5 hectares), Whiteley Woods (11.5 hectares), Forge Dam (9.5 hectares) and Porter Clough (7.2 hectares). The Porter Valley Parks are part of the Sheffield Round Walk, completed shortly after the Second World War.
Brief history of site
Towards the end of the 19th century attention focused on using the Porter valley to serve the needs of the rapidly expanding western suburbs. Accounts describe a well-established walk following the Porter valley. In 1885 the Corporation purchased 8 hectares of land at Endcliffe Wood to provide public walks and pleasure grounds, and also to improve sanitation. In March 1886, William Goldring was commissioned to adapt Endcliffe Wood for public use. Additional areas were purchased throughout the early-20th century. The walk through the parks became an important part of the Sheffield Round Walk, which was completed soon after World War 2.
South Yorkshire; Sheffield
Historical County: West Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||110||Grid Ref:||SK318854|
Opening contact details:
The entire sequence of parks and open spaces is open to the public. For details see:https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/parks/city-district-local-parks/endcliffe-park.html
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1885 to 1938
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 68.2