Victoria Park, Tunstall, (also known as Tunstall Park), Stoke-on-Trent, England
Record Id: 4471
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Victoria Park, Tunstall, was laid out on the site of former mine workings. It was constructed over a period of about 10 years and opened in 1908. There are bowling greens, tennis courts and a boating lake, as well as various buildings including a clock tower.
Brief history of site
Tunstall Urban District Council purchased 14 hectares of industrially blighted land adjacent to Station Road for the construction of a public park and a new road. The first sod was turned by the Chief Bailiff on 22 June 1897. The scheme for converting the former mine-workings into a public park was devised by the Surveyor to Tunstall Urban District Council, Absalom Reade Wood. Features continued to be added to the park in the early years of the 20th century, and by 1914 the park had essentially assumed its final form.
Address: Victoria Park, Victoria Park Road, Tunstall, ST6 6ED
Historical County: Staffordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||118||Grid Ref:||SJ866516|
The park can be accessed from Victoria Park Road.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park, open daily for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1897 to 1914
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 8.5