Blake Hall, Ongar, Essex, England
Record Id: 445
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Blake Hall has an early-18th century park and woodland garden with 19th-century additions, covering approximately 56 hectares. Much of the garden was replanted in the late-20th century.
Brief history of site
A survey of 1700 records the existence of a hall (later demolished). A new house with a double avenue approach off the road and an extensive walled garden is shown on a map of 1777. The house was extended and the gardens re-designed between 1789 and 1804. A park had also been laid out by 1804, possibly by Humphry Repton. In 1820 the house was remodeled by the architect George Basevi.
Address: Blake Hall, Bobbingworth, Ongar, Essex, CM5 0DG
Locality: Ongar, Essex
Essex; Epping Forest; Bobbingworth
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||167||Grid Ref:||TL539052|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1700 to 1777
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 56