Dougalston, Milngavie, Scotland
Record Id: 4448
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Dougalston is a designed landscape which retains its 19th-century extent and varied woodland and water features. It is now in multiple ownership and provides the setting for a golf course, a sporting complex and a housing development.
Brief history of site
The earliest records of Dougalston date from the 13th century. By the mid-18th century there was a formal designed landscape of rectilinear, tree-lined enclosures and a grand avenue leading south from the house. The merchant John Glassford bought the property in 1767, and informalised the design of the estate including the creation of Dougalston Loch. By the mid-19th century Dougalston was a large estate well-endowed with planting, parkland and buildings. The house was demolished in the mid-20th century to make way for the golf course which opened in 1976.
Historical County: Dunbarton
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||64||Grid Ref:||NS566744|
Footpaths open to the public can be accessed from the Baldernock road, which crosses the northern part of the site.
Opening contact details:
There is public access to some woodland and lochside paths.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: golf course
Context or principal building: housing estate
Main period of development: 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 128
Dougalston is located on hilly ground rising to about 85 metres in the north with views over the northern part of Glasgow. There is a housing development in the southern part of the site adjacent to Dougalston Loch and a golf course and sporting complex situated in the central and northern areas.
Considerable tree belts remain, largely composed of mixed broadleaved trees dominated by beech. They comprise boundary planting as well as blocks through the centre of the site. There are also more open areas corresponding to former parkland although their character has been altered due to the needs of golfing. There are no gardens save the unused walled garden with three surviving walls and a few stumps of box. The Factor's House is situated here.
Historic Environment Scotland Listed Building Grade A Reference Factor's House
John Glassford (1715-1783) built the banqueting house in the early-18th century with an apartment for his factor and an ice-house incorporated into it. Robert Kerr restored the banqueting house after a fire in 1873 and it has been refurbished in the 20th century. Kerr also restored the main house in about 1872, which was later demolished when the golf course was developed in the mid-20th century.
People associated with this site
Architect: Sir John James Burnet (born 31/03/1857 died 02/07/1938)
Architect: Robert Kerr (born 1823 died 1904)
Feature created: 1800 to 1833
Designation status: Historic Environment Scotland Listed Building Designation Grade B Designation Reference Doocot
Domed icehouse located within the Factor's House.
Organisations associated with this site
Historic Environment Scotland (formerly Historic Scotland) Role: Designating Authority
Sources of information
East Dunbartonshire Council, `Dougalston?, Survey of Historic Gardens and Designed Landscapes in East Dunbartonshire, <http://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/Web+Site/Live/EDWebLive.nsf/LU-AllContent/NHUR-6XHL52?Open> [accessed 22 July 2008]
There are no images associated with this site