Hopwood Hall, Middleton, England
Record Id: 4417
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Hopwood Hall was originally a moated site of medieval origin. In later phases the property had pleasure grounds and an extensive park with scattered woods. Features in the grounds included a kitchen garden, ice house, ha-ha, Italian garden, fountain, corn mill and small cross-shaped bower or grotto. Some of these may survive. The Hall is now a college.
Brief history of site
The hall was first built by the Hopwood family in the 13th or 14th century. It was originally fortified by a moat. Few alterations were made to the estate until the 1840s. A number of changes were made to the grounds around the hall between 1910 and 1927. The estate was acquired by the De La Salle brothers in 1947 and is now a college.
Address: Rochdale Road, M24 6XH
Greater Manchester; Rochdale; North Middleton
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||109||Grid Ref:||SD875087|
North of the A664, west of Oldham
Form of site: park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: college
Site Size (Hectares): 150