Bovey Castle , (also known as Manor House Hotel), Dartmoor National Park, England
Record Id: 4329
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Bovey Castle is a lavish neo-Elizabethan mansion built in 1906-7 by Delmar Blow for WFD Smith, later the second Viscount Hambledon. The house is comparable to Castle Drogo in scale, but without the sparkle of Lutyens. It was extended in the 1930s. There is a restrained garden front magnificently set above terraces overlooking the lake and river. The site is now an hotel.
Brief history of site
The mansion was built in 1906-7 by Delmar Blow for WFD Smith, later the second Viscount Hambledon.
Address: North Bovey, TQ13 8RE
Locality: Dartmoor National Park
Devon; Teignbridge; North Bovey
Historical County: Devon
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||201||Grid Ref:||SX731844|
The site is off junction 31 of the M5, following the A30 and the A382.
Opening contact details:
This is now a hotel, please visit the website for information about access.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: 1906 to 1907
Main period of development: Early 20th century