Hatchlands, Guildford, England
Record Id: 4309
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The designed landscape associated with the mid-18th-century house at Hatchlands consists of parkland (probably originating in the late-17th century) improved by Humphry Repton in the early-19th century. There are also gardens and pleasure grounds. There are features dating back to the mid-18th century and an early-20th-century formal garden by Gertrude Jekyll.
Brief history of site
The Honorable Edward Boscawen bought the property in the mid-18th century and began landscaping soon afterwards. William Sumner commissioned Humphry Repton in the early-19th century and most of his ideas were incorporated into the layout of the park and pleasure grounds. In the early-20th century Gertrude Jekyll provided designs for two parterres.
Address: Hatchlands Park, East Clandon, Guildford, Surrey, GU4 7RT
Surrey; Guildford; East Clandon
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||187||Grid Ref:||TQ067520|
Hatchlands is 7km east of Guildford and just east of the village of East Clandon.
Opening contact details:
Park walks open daily throughout the season. The house and garden are open at more restricted times. For details please see:http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/place-pages/162/pages/opening-times-calendar
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: historic house
Site first created: After 1751
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 115