Spa Gardens, Royal Leamington Spa, England
Record Id: 4277
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
The Spa Gardens in Leamington Spa comprise several gardens and parks linked by a riverside walk, laid out along the River Leam between 1814 and 1903. The gardens include the Pump Room Gardens, Mill Gardens, Victoria Park and Jephson Gardens. Jephson and Mill Gardens together have won a Green Flag and a Green Heritage award.
Brief history of site
In 1808 a landowner named Bertie Greatheed formed a partnership with Warwick businessmen to develop a new town on his land focused on a Pump Room, opened in 1814, alongside which the Pump Room Gardens were laid out. In 1862 the Local Board of Health created the New River Walk, which was extended to the Pump Room Gardens after 1875. Land was acquired for Victoria Park as a 'people's park' after 1896. The final component of Spa Gardens, Mill Gardens, opened in 1903.
Locality: Royal Leamington Spa
Warwickshire; Warwick; Royal Leamington
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP316656|
Opening contact details:
These are municipal parks for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1814 to 1903
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 20