Lord Leycester Hospital, Warwick, England
Record Id: 4270
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The small Master's Garden at the Lord Leycester Hospital has occupied the same site since at least the 16th century and probably before. Renovated in the late-20th century, it essentially retains its original structure. It is situated behind the late 15th-century, timber-framed buildings that have served the role of an almshouse since the 16th century.
Brief history of site
There was a garden on the site from the mid-16th century at least. After the almshouse was founded in the late-16th century the garden continued as an area for recreation and growing food. There have been few changes to its structure since that time. In 1993 the garden was renovated and replanted under the guidance of the landscape historian Susan Rhodes and the landscape architect Geoffrey Smith.
Address: Lord Leycester Hosptial, 60 High Street, Warwick, West Midlands, CV34 4BH
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP280648|
At the west end of the High Street, just inside the medieval West Gate.
Opening contact details:
The Master's garden is open from Easter to September for part of the week. For details see:http://lordleycester.com/information/
Form of site: town garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: almshouse
Site first created: After 1571
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 0.25