Vale, The, Edgbaston, Birmingham, England
Record Id: 4262
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The Vale at Edgbaston is a university campus laid out in the mid-20th century by the landscape architect, Mary Mitchell, on land that was once part of the Calthorpe estate. The sloping site has an elliptical lake and good views towards Edgbaston Hall and the main university campus.
Brief history of site
In 1786 Sir Henry Gough granted the first building leases on his estate adjoining Edgbaston Hall. Building developments continued throughout the 19th century, including several prestigious villas. During or after the Second World War the villas ceased to be private residences and passed into various institutional uses. The villa known as The Vale was acquired by Birmingham University for use as staff accommodation around 1945. Further villa sites were bought by the University in 1954 with a view to creating halls of residence. Considerable remodelling of the ground form was undertaken, and the new campus was laid out in 1959-60 to a plan by the Birmingham landscape architect Mary Mitchell.
Address: The Vale, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, B15 3SX
West Midlands; Birmingham
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP052848|
Form of site: park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: university
Site first created: 1959 to 1960
Main period of development: Mid 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 17