Stoney Road Allotments, (also known as Park Gardens), Coventry, England
Record Id: 4260
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Stoney Road Allotments are all that remain of several areas of detached town gardens laid out in what was once Cheylesmore Park. They were created in the mid- to late-19th century for ornamental and productive use and function as allotments today (2008).
Brief history of site
The site of the Stoney Road Allotments, also known as Park Gardens, lay within Cheylesmore Park. The gardens appear to have been commenced shortly after 1853, and by 1887 the northern half of the site had been laid out as small gardens enclosed by hedges and divided by tracks and secondary walks. In July 1935 the City Council acquired Stoney Road Allotments, then known as Cheylesmore Estate Allotments, from Mr A Robinson for £1100.
West Midlands; Coventry
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||140||Grid Ref:||SP334779|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: allotment
Context or principal building: agriculture and subsistence
Site first created: 1853
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 5