Lady Herbert's Garden, Coventry, England
Record Id: 4258
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Lady Herbert's Garden is a public garden designed and laid out in the 1930s as a memorial garden to the wife of the Coventry industrialist, Sir Alfred Herbert. It lies near the city's ancient gates and incorporates part of the medieval city wall.
Brief history of site
The gardens were designed by Albert Herbert, the cousin of Sir Alfred Herbert the industrialist, for whose wife the memorial garden was created. In 1974 the care of the gardens passed to Coventry City Council.
Address: Lady Herbert's Garden, Hales Street, Coventry, West Midlands, CV1 1JQ
West Midlands; Coventry
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||140||Grid Ref:||SP336793|
The garden is in the centre of Coventry about 1 mile from the railway station.
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1930 to 1938
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 0.6