Stoney Royd Cemetery, Halifax, England
Record Id: 4245
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Stoney Royd Cemetery was opened in 1861. The design by Edward Milner uses the sloping site to advantage with terracing and a network of serpentine paths with views over the town. Other features include several obelisks, a drive lined by an avenue of mature trees, and three gate lodges (one originally associated with the estate on this site prior to the establishment of the cemetery).
Brief history of site
The house on the site, Stoney Royd was built for Christopher Rawson around 1764. The Corporation purchased the site in 1860 and the design competition was won by Edward Milner in the same year. The total cost of the formation of the cemetery was around £12,000. The Cemetery opened in 1861 and on 11 September 1862 the northern portion of the cemetery was consecrated, with the southern half for use by Nonconformists. The house was demolished in the second half of the 20th century.
West Yorkshire; Calderdale
Historical County: West Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||104||Grid Ref:||SE100241|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site for general public use.
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: chapel
Site first created: 1859 to 1861
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 6.5