Town Gardens, Swindon, Wiltshire, England
Record Id: 4234
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Town Gardens were laid out as a public space in the late-19th and early-20th centuries on the site of old stone quarries. Further developments took place in the mid-20th century.
Brief history of site
Town Gardens were laid out in the late-19th and early-20th centuries on the undulating Okus Field. The Gardens were opened in May 1894 by Mr W Reynolds, Chairman of the Board. The northern area was laid out in 1902 and included a maze, a shelter, rustic bridges, and seats, to a design submitted by a Mr A John Gilbert. In the mid-20th century improvements were made to the Gardens, including the creation of a rose garden and bandstand with arena.
Address: Town Gardens, Quarry Road, Swindon, SN1 4EN
Historical County: Wiltshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||173||Grid Ref:||SU152834|
The entrance to the park is from Quarry Road or Westlecot Road. There is a public car park 250 metres away in Bath Road.
Opening contact details:
Town Gardens form a municipal park open to the public.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1894 to 1902
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 5