Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

History

The garden would have been laid out after the creation of the Hall in the 1830s.

The garden was enlarged between the Ordnance Survey visits of 1883 and 1923. The lake below the Hall, did not exist in 1883. However the pools feeding the lake had been built. The boathouse also existed in 1923.

The fountain, that still survives, appearing on the 1923 map, was a pool in 1883.

Close to the southern boundary of the garden directly south of the Hall a hedged sheltered area had been grown by 1923. It was square shaped. An oblong shaped hedged area had been added to its south east to surround a pool by 1981.

The kitchen gardens, still existed in 1923, were at SP 0164 3600 though they were built over by 1998.

Chronology

1827 Swinton Colthurst Holland, a London banker, bought the property and died in the same year. His son Edward Holland, founder of the Royal Agricultural College at Cirencester, inherited.

1830 Start of new house designed by George Stanley Repton, youngest son of Humphry, in the Tudor style to the south east of the village. This survives with additions that include a late l9th century. 60 ft. orangery on the west end of south front.

1862 The east window of Dumbleton church was replaced. The masonry from the earlier one was much later set up as a ‘romantic ruin' beside the lake.

1875 Henry William Eyres leased the estate, which was subsequently bought by his family, as Edward Holland's will had left his eldest son with insufficient means to maintain the estate.

1881 Henry's widow was pregnant with his daughter, Caroline Mary Sybil Eyres whom married Bolton Meredith Monsell in 1904. He changed his surname to Eyres-Monsell.

1902-1905 Major remodelling, massive north wing, probable architect Sidney Kitson of Bedford & Kitson, Leeds and the east lodge and its adjacent gates by A N Prentice.

1959 It was sold to The Post Office Fellowship of Remembrance for use as a convalescent and holiday home. Apart from 19 acres the rest of the estate was sold to Lord Hambro. The P.O.F.R. Classic Hotels Group now operates the Hall as a 34 bedroom hotel.

Site history key facts

Historical use of site

1550 to 1830: deer park

Site timeline

1887 to 1923: The lake was dug and the boathouse built.

1902 to 1905: Major remodelling. Building of the massive north wing, probable architect Sidney Kitson of Bedford & Kitson, Leeds and the east lodge and its adjacent gates by A N Prentice.

1959: It was sold to The Post Office Fellowship of Remembrance for use as a convalescent and holiday home.

People associated with this site

Architect: Andrew Noble Prentice (born 20/04/1866 died 23/12/1941)

Architect: George Stanley Repton (born 30/01/1786 died 29/06/1858)

Features

gate lodge

Feature created: 1905 to 1910

Creator: Andrew Noble Prentice (born 20/04/1866 died 23/12/1941)

East Lodge SP01787 35723.

Designation status: The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Designation Grade II Designation Reference 135162

entrance

Feature created: 1905 to 1910

Creator: Andrew Noble Prentice (born 20/04/1866 died 23/12/1941)

Gates, Gate Piers and Railings at SP01795 35746.

Designation status: The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Designation Grade II Designation Reference 135161

cascade

Feature created: 1830 to 1883

Series of ponds to west of lake.

drive

Feature created: After 1830

Creator: George Stanley Repton (born 30/01/1786 died 29/06/1858)

Constructed to allow access to stables and kitchen garden.

ornamental lake

Feature created: 1883 to 1923

1.17 acre lake constructed on side on shallow slope below Hall.

stream

Feature created: 1830 to 1883

Feeds cascade.

ornamental pond

Feature created: 1923 to 1981

Surrounded by Hedge.

boat house

Feature created: 1883 to 1923

On southern shore of lake.

shrubbery

Feature created: After 1830

Largely on edge of pleasance.

rose border

herbaceous border

Feature created: After 1830

pleasance

Feature created: After 1830

Behind Hall

balustrade

Feature created: After 1830

Around level area outside entrance to Hall.

approach

Feature created: 1830 to 1840

From East Entrance south of Church across site of Dumbleton Old Hall.

tree avenue

Feature created: After 1830

Lining approach from North Lodge.

palissade

Feature created: 1830 to 1883

In a square around a circular stone edged lowered lawn to shelter and hide in a lawn.

island

Feature created: 1883 to 1923

2 constructed probably when the lake was built.

ornamental fountain

Feature created: 1887 to 1923