Dumbleton Hall, Evesham, England
Record Id: 4221
The house was built on a man-made shelf on the side of Dumbleton Hill. Balustrading confines the shelf that is orientated around the house. A gravel path continues the line of the balustrading up the side of the wide valley. This acts as the principal axis of the garden.
At the far end of this axis is established mixed woodland interspersed with rhododendron bushes.
The garden preserves some earlier stonework features
- flights of steps ascending the four grass terraces to the west side of the house
- balustrading along the gravel parking area round the house to the south and the east
- a circular bed in the gravel parking area
- a circular pool with fountain on the top slope to the west.
To the south east of the Hall lies a man-made lake. It can be crossed at its northern end where it drains by wide naturalistic stepping stones.
At the west end of the lake is a boathouse of stone standing where the spring-fed stream running down the hill over several small constructed stone steps joins the lake.
Planted about the garden and grounds are several fine old cedars, Wellingtonia, holly, yew and other evergreens. Widespread areas of snowdrops, bluebells and primroses on the grass slopes to west. In the spring there are swathes of daffodils besides the lake.
Alongside the flights of steps linking the four grass terraces runs a clipped yew hedge with a herbaceous border on its south side. At right angles to this at the top are a grass walk and a long border of remembrance planted with named donated roses.
Above is a rectangle enclosed and divided by a topiary hedge into two square gardens
1. contains a memorial plaque to the dead of the World Wars, dated 2001,
2. 2 plaques commemorating 2 other Post Office Fellowship of Remembrance houses and a Silver Jubilee Dumbleton Village Hall plaque 1959-84.
On the lowest grass terrace west of the house, one square bed remains containing a planting of small shrubs. There is still evidence, now grassed over, that this was repeated along the length of the terrace.
Ordnance Survey 25 inches per mile Gloucestershire XIII/6 1884, 1923
Ordnance Survey 6 inches per mile Gloucestershire XIII NW 1891
Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 1981
Sale Particulars 1822 GA SL163 & 198
Sale Particulars 1875 GA SL164,481
Road Changes 1830 GA Q/Srh/1830/D/2
Ordnance Survey Aerial Photograph 1993 GA D8564 No.173 93/578B SP0135
Of house 1870 GA (PH 301) GPS121/3
Owner: P.O.F.R. Classic Hotels Group
Dumbleton Hall Hotel
The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Grade II* Reference 135160
The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Grade II Reference 135161
The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Grade II Reference 135162
Tudor style Created 1830 to 1905 by George Stanley Repton
Designation status: The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Grade II* Reference 135160
Terrain: Gently sloping
Underlying geology: Lower Lias Clay
External web site link: www.dumbletonhall.co.uk