Bishop's Palace, The, Wells, Somerset, England
Record Id: 421
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The Bishop's Palace, Wells was enclosed by Bishop Jocelin around 1206. The precincts are walled and moated. The formal gardens were added in the 18th century. Much of the site was landscaped between 1824 and 1845. It is now an informal landscape.
Brief history of site
In the 8th century a collegiate church was founded at Wells, which in AD 909 became the seat of a Saxon bishop. The surviving buildings of the Bishop's Palace were begun in the early 13th century by Bishop Jocelin, who was also responsible for obtaining licence from King John in 1207 to impark the deer park to the south of the Palace. By 1733, when S and N Buck engraved a view of the Palace, formal gardens had been laid out within the moated enclosure to the east and south of the Palace. This view shows that the tree-lined walk on the outer side of the moat was already established, and that the ramparts of the Palace had similarly been converted into walks with views over the garden and park. The Palace grounds assumed their present form in the early 19th century under Bishop George Henry Law.
Address: Wells, Somerset, BA5 2PD
Somerset; Mendip; Wells
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||183||Grid Ref:||ST553456|
The palace is in the city centre, from where it is signposted.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open between March and December, with variable opening times and days. See:
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: palace
Site Style : informal
Site first created: After 1207
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 2