Birmingham Botanical Gardens & Glasshouses, Edgbaston, Birmingham, England
Record Id: 416
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Birmingham Botanical Gardens & Glasshouses was founded in the 19th century and has continued to develop through the 20th century. The site covers about 4 hectares, and includes Tropical, Subtropical, Mediterranean and Arid glasshouses, a winter garden and a rock garden, a pinetum, a Japanese garden, and a herb garden. There is also a woodland walk, a fern garden and a lawn aviary. Azaleas and rhododendrons are a feature. Historic gardens typical of the Roman, Medieval and Tudor periods have been planted.
Brief history of site
A committee of local business and professional men formed the Birmingham Botanical and Horticultural Society in 1829 with the intention of establishing a botanical garden. After choosing a site and the drawing of plans by John Claudius Loudon, the garden opened in 1832, although substantial development and planting continued throughout the decade.
Address: The Botanical Gardens, Westbourne Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 3TR
Locality: Edgbaston, Birmingham
West Midlands; Birmingham; Edgbaston
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP048 854|
South-west of Birmingham city centre, signposted from the A456.
Opening contact details:
0121 454 1860
Open daily except Christmas Day, 9am (10am Sundays) until dusk.
Parking. WCs. Refreshments. Shop. Disabled access. No dogs except guide dogs.
Form of site: botanic garden
Purpose of site: botanic garden
Site first created: 1832
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 4