Bilton Grange, Rugby, England
Record Id: 410
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Bilton Grange was originally a 13th-century monastic site. A Georgian house and park was altered and extended in the 1840s by Augustus Welby Pugin, and the grounds remodelled as gardens and pleasure grounds. The site is now a preparatory school, with sports facilities.
Brief history of site
By 1780 a farmhouse accompanied by gardens, outbuildings and orchards stood on the site of the present mansion. In 1841 plans were commissioned for a modest extension to Bilton Grange from Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Fresh plans were drawn up by Pugin after 1846. After 1887 the house was opened as a preparatory school, in which use it continues.
Address: Bilton Grange, Dunchurch, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22 6QU
Warwickshire; Rugby; Dunchurch
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||140||Grid Ref:||SP493718|
South of Rugby on the A426
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: Before 1780
Main period of development: 19th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 64