Bignor Park, Pulborough, England
Record Id: 408
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site has gardens, pleasure grounds and a park. The gardens of 6 hectares date from the early-19th century. The park is medieval in origin and was landscaped in the late-18th century.
Brief history of site
The medieval park was in existence by the mid-14th century. The first house on the site was built in the late-16th century. the park was landscaped in the late-18th century and the formal gardens created in the early-19th century.
Address: Bignor, Pulborough, West Sussex, RH20 1HG
West Sussex; Chichester; Bignor
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU991156|
From London: (53 miles) Take A3 and turn left at Milford onto A283 to Petworth.
From Petworth: (5 miles) Take A285 Chichester Road for 2 miles. Turn left, signposted Burton Mill & Roman Villa. Straight over next crossroads, then fork right signposted West Burton & Roman Villa. After 1 mile Bignor Park Estate is on the right.
From Pulborough: (5 miles). Take the A29 Bognor Road for two miles. Turn right, signposted Fittleworth. Left at 'T' Junction, first right leads to Bignor Park Estate's 1/2 mile driveway.
From Arundel: (7 miles). Take Pulborough Road. At bottom of long steep hill fork left signposted B2138 to Petworth. Second turn left leads to driveway.
Opening contact details:
The estate is only open on selected days during the year. http://www.bignorpark.co.uk/
The property is available for civil wedding ceremonies, corporate events and as a film location.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1066 to 1540
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 56