Summary

This site is NOT open to public.

Loading...

Brief description of site

The grounds at Norton House have an early-20th-century layout which incorporates 18th-century elements. The site is used for occasional public concerts, but is not open to the public in the general sense.

Brief history of site

The estate came into the hands of William Keyte in 1716, at which time the house and gardens were established. The gardens included a large parterre, terraces down the hillside and walks in plantations. The current layout for the gardens dates from the early-20th century. A new entrance court was established in about 1901, along with a fountain, terraces, orchard and woodland walks.

Location information:

Address: Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire, GL55 6PR

Locality: Evesham

Local Authorities:

Gloucestershire; Cotswold; Weston Subedge

Historical County: Gloucestershire

OS Landranger Map Sheet Number: 151 Grid Ref: SP146415
Latitude: 52.0717 Longitude: -1.78841

Key information:

Form of site: country estate

Purpose of site: Ornamental

Context or principal building: house

Site first created: 1716

Main period of development: Early 18th century

Survival: Part: standing remains

Description

Principal building:

house Created 1716

The house was built in 1716 and seriously damaged by fire in 1741. The building was repaired after 1753.

Designation status: English Heritage Listed Building Grade II Reference Norton House

History

In 1716 the house came into the hands of the Keyte family. Sir William Keyte built a large house on an adjacent site. A garden was laid out at the same time. It had a large parterre, terraces down the hillside and walks in plantations. The total expenditure on the house and gardens was reputedly £10,000.

In 1901-2 the house underwent extensive alterations and re-modelling by Sir Guy Dawber for the Earl of Harrowby. Sir Guy re-laid out the gardens, incorporating a new entrance court, circular fountain, grass terraces and orchard. New ornamental woodland walks were created through the existing wilderness and woodland on the site. 

The gardens provided the inspiration for T.S. Eliot's 'Burnt Norton', one of the Four Quartets. 

Site timeline

1620 to 1650: A brick front is added to the house, now at the rear.

1620: A house resembling a farmhouse is built on the site by Lord Saye and Sele.

1716: The estate comes into the hands of William Keyte in 1716, at which time the house and gardens are established. The total expenditure is reputed to be around 10,000 pounds.

1741: Sir William Keyte sets fire to the house, killing himself and destroying most of the property.

1753: Sir Dudley Ryder buys the estate and repairs it sufficiently to allow its occasional use by the family. His descendants still own the house.

1901 to 1902: The house and gardens undergo extensive alterations and re-modelling. This is undertaken by Sir Guy Dawber for the Earl of Harrowby.

People associated with this site

Designer: Sir Edward Guy Dawber (born 03/08/1861 died 24/04/1938)

Features

fountain

Feature created: 1901 to 1902

Creator: Sir Edward Guy Dawber (born 03/08/1861 died 24/04/1938)

Circular fountain.

terrace

Feature created: 1901 to 1902

Creator: Sir Edward Guy Dawber (born 03/08/1861 died 24/04/1938)

Grass terraces.

orchard

Feature created: 1901 to 1902

walk

Feature created: 1901 to 1902

Creator: Sir Edward Guy Dawber (born 03/08/1861 died 24/04/1938)

Ornamental woodland walks.

wilderness

Feature created: 1716 to 1753

garden ornament

There are 10 stone piers around the courtyard at the front.

Designation status: English Heritage Listed Building Designation Grade II Designation Reference Stone piers

temple

There is a temple in the grounds with an 18th-century facade. The other walls and the roof date from the 19th century.

Designation status: English Heritage Listed Building Designation Grade II Designation Reference Summerhouse

References

Organisations associated with this site

Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust

English Heritage Role: Designating Authority

Sources of information

Delineations of Gloucestershire; being views of the principal seats of nobility & gentry

Brewer, James Norris Delineations of Gloucestershire; being views of the principal seats of nobility & gentry (London: Sherwood, Gilbert & Piper, 1825)

Historic Gardens of Dorset

Mowl, Timothy Historic Gardens of Dorset (Stroud: Tempus, 2003), p. 146

The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire

Atkyns, Robert The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire (London: W. Bowyer for Robert Gosling, 1712), p. 809

The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1: The Cotswolds

Verey, David The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1: The Cotswolds (London: Penguin, 1970), p. 148

The Country Houses of Gloucestershire, Vol. I 1500-1660

Kingsley, Nicholas The Country Houses of Gloucestershire, Vol. I 1500-1660 (Cheltenham: Phillimore, 1989), p. 207

The Country Houses of Gloucestershire, Vol. II 1660-1830

Kingsley, Nicholas The Country Houses of Gloucestershire, Vol. II 1660-1830 (Chichester: Phillimore, 1992), pp. 94-5

The Country Houses of Gloucestershire, Vol. III 1830-2000

Kingsley, Nicholas The Country Houses of Gloucestershire, Vol. III 1830-2000 (Chichester: Phillimore, 2001). pp. 272-3

Contributor or Recorder Gloucestershire Gardens and Landscape Trust

Images

There are no images associated with this site