Benington Lordship, Stevenage, England
Record Id: 384
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The early 20th-century gardens of Benington Lordship occupy about three hectares around the house, with adjacent parkland of 27 hectares. The gardens include the remains of a Norman castle and moat. There is a rose garden, sunken garden, snowdrop walk and kitchen garden. The 19th-century Norman-style gatehouse and the summerhouse are made of Pulhamite (a type of artificial stone).
Brief history of site
In about 1700 the Caesar family of Benington Place built Benington Lordship on the site of an Elizabethan farmhouse, adjacent to the castle ruins. Around 1832, the then-owner George Proctor commissioned a neo-Norman gatehouse, summerhouse and curtain wall to connect them, which together are known as The Folly. In 1905 Arthur Bott, a Staffordshire engineer, bought the Lordship upon his return from working in India. Mr Bott and his wife Lilian enlarged the house and garden, taking in areas of the park, and built a new kitchen garden adjacent to the stables.
Address: Benington Lordship, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG2 7BS
Hertfordshire; East Hertfordshire; Benington
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL294235|
Four miles east of Stevenage.
Opening contact details:
Open for specific seasonal displays only (for example snowdrops). Please see:
http://www.beningtonlordship.co.uk/eventsandopeningtimes.shtml or telephone 08701 261709
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: detached house
Site first created: After 1700
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 30