Benham Park, Newbury, England
Record Id: 382
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Benham Park is a late-18th-century landscape park, designed in 1775 by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown. It covers approximately 150 hectares. The northern half of the park slopes down from the north boundary, with the house sited part way down the slope, overlooking the valley of the River Kennet to the south at the bottom of the slope.
Brief history of site
The sixth Lord Craven built Benham Place in the 1770s, employing Henry Holland as his architect, newly entered into partnership in 1772 with Lancelot Brown who laid out the grounds. In the late-19th century a formal, terraced layout was created within the gardens, possibly by William Andrews Nesfield.
Address: Benham Park, Marsh Benham, Newbury, Berkshire, RG20 8LQ
West Berkshire; Speen
Historical County: Berkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||174||Grid Ref:||SU437675|
Near Stockcross, west of Newbury, west of the A34 and south of the A4.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial office
Site first created: 1775
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 150