Madingley Hall, North Garden, Cambridge, England
Record Id: 3771
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Part/component area of: Madingley Hall
Brief description of site
The north garden is part garden part meadow, the later part being managed as such since at least 1870. Mature trees dominate the meadow with swathes of naturally occurring wildflowers and a planted woodland and Yew border. The more formally arranged garden to the south of the meadow contains a croquet lawn, pond and Yew topiary garden. The Topiary Garden was created in the 1920s, and has an astrolabe at its centre. It is thought that the other Yews in the garden are the only surviving trees from Lancelot Brown's work.
Cambridgeshire; South Cambridgeshire; Madingley
Historical County: Cambridgeshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||154||Grid Ref:||TL390600|
Form of site: park
Purpose of site: Ornamental