Powis Castle, The Terraces, Welshpool, Wales
Record Id: 3707
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Part/component area of: Powis Castle
Brief description of site
Four garden terraces, each 150 metres long, lie below the castle. Simple yew obelisks have been allowed over the centuries to take an amorphous form and now bulge out over the top terrace making a distinctive feature. The terraces include an aviary and an orangery and some lead sculpture from the Van Nost studio. They are richly planted, one with a double herbaceous border.
Brief history of site
The terraces were constructed in the late-17th and early-18th centuries. Much of the planting was filled out in the early-20th century.
Address: Powis Castle and Garden, Welshpool, Powys, SY21 8RF
Powys; Welshpool; Welshpool
Historical County: Montgomeryshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||126||Grid Ref:||SJ 217064|
For directions, see
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily between March and December.
Form of site: terraced garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Site Style : Baroque
Site first created: 1684 to 1705
Main period of development: Late 17th century