Castle Howard, Ray Wood, Malton, North Yorkshire, England
Record Id: 3636
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Part/component area of: Castle Howard
Brief description of site
Ray Wood is a reconstructed wilderness with serpentine walkways cutting through a replanted ancient wood.
Brief history of site
A labyrinth design with ormanental features was first created in 1706.
By the mid-18th century these features had disappeared and little was done to the wood until it was clear-felled in the 1940s.
In 1975 work began on reconstructing the original walkways and adding new plant species.
Address: Castle Howard Estate Ltd, Estate Office, Castle Howard, York, North Yorkshire, YO60 7DA
Locality: Malton, North Yorkshire
North Yorkshire; Ryedale; Henderskelfe
Historical County: North Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||100||Grid Ref:||SE 716 700|
Castle Howard is located 15 miles north east of York, just off the A64 in the direction of Malton.
If travelling from the north turn off the A1 onto the A61 to Thirsk and then take the A170 to Helmsley. Turn onto the B1257 just before Helmsley and follow the brown signs.
From the south turn off the A1M at junction 45 onto the A64 and follow east to York. Once past York follow the brown signs.
Castle Howard can also be reached by public transport by going to Malton which is 5 miles away.
Opening contact details:
Form of site: woodland garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Plant type/environment: woodland garden
Site first created: 1706 to 1710
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 30