Wycombe Abbey, High Wycombe, England
Record Id: 3604
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Wycombe Abbey has an 18th-century landscape park, which at its most extensive occupied about 180 hectares. The site has earlier origins, the present grounds being designed to complement the present house, built in 1798. The estate is now in divided use and ownership. The main grounds around the school occupies about 20 hectares within total site of about 70 hectares.
Brief history of site
The house may be on the site of the medieval Hospital of St Margaret and St Giles. By the early-17th century Loakes Manor house had superseded the hospital. The third Earl of Shelburne inherited in 1761 and improved the grounds, probably using Lancelot Brown. In 1798 the third Earl sold Loakes Manor to Robert Smith, who employed James Wyatt to remodel and extend Loakes in the Gothic style about 1803-1804. The Abbey house and 12.5 hectares of land were sold in 1896 to a syndicate who created Wycombe Abbey School.
Address: Wycombe Abbey School, Abbey Way, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 1PE
Locality: High Wycombe
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SU860920|
On the south side of Wycombe.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: school
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 70