Wroxton Abbey, Banbury, England
Record Id: 3601
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The grounds at Wroxton Abbey include the remains of early formal gardens, a park and Rococo pleasure grounds. Covering 22.7 hectares at the core of a landscape park of about 125 hectares, the formal gardens were laid out between 1723 and 1727 by Tilleman Bobart.
Brief history of site
Wroxton Priory, founded in the early 13th century, was dissolved in 1536. The land was sold to Sir Thomas Pope, who endowed Trinity College with the manor and lands of Wroxton and nearby Balscot. In 1618 Pope's son William, began to build the core of the current house, together with a parlour garden, orchards and grass plots. Francis North built the stables and carried out extensive tree planting during the late-17th century. In 1727, a grand, formal terraced layout was created, possibly to a scheme by Henry Wise, together with the walled garden. Lord Guilford and Sanderson Miller laid out a rococo landscape in the valley below the earlier formal features between 1737 and 1751.
Address: Wroxton Abbey, Wroxton, nr Banbury, Oxfordshire, OX15 6PX
Oxfordshire; Cherwell; Wroxton
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP417416|
Immediately west of Banbury, south of the A422.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: college
Site first created: 1618 to 1751
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 125