Wroxall Abbey, Warwick, England
Record Id: 3600
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Originating as a medieval priory, Wroxall Abbey has a park occupying about 115 hectares with late-17th-century formal avenues surviving. The house was at that time the residence of Sir Christopher Wren. The present house is 19th century, surrounded by gardens covering about 11 hectares, which were largely redesigned in the 19th century. Only the 14th century church survives from the priory.
Brief history of site
A Benedictine nunnery was founded at Wroxall in about 1146 by Hugh fitz Richard of Hatton. The priory was dissolved in 1536. Around 1660 roughly 25 hectares were imparked around the manor house. In 1713, the estate was sold to Sir Christopher Wren. Christopher Roberts Wren made improvements to the house and gardens between 1812 and his death in 1828. After 1861, the 16th-century house was demolished and in 1866-8 a new mansion was built on a site to the west of the medieval church, accompanied by new formal gardens and pleasure grounds.
Address: Wroxall Abbey, Wroxall, Warwickshire, CV35 7NB
Warwickshire; Warwick; Warwick
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP221 707|
West of the A4177 to the north-east of Warwick.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial
Site first created: 1660
Main period of development: 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 115