Wrotham Park, Potters Bar, England
Record Id: 3599
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Wrotham Park is a mid-18th century landscape park surrounding a house built in 1754 by Isaac Ware for Admiral John Byng. The house remains in private hands and is used for private functions. The park covers about 116 hectares, surrounded by 1000 hectares of farmland.
Brief history of site
Some 62.5 hectares of the Pinchbank estate were bought by Admiral John Byng in 1750. At this time the house had a walled garden laid out with a formal water feature. Byng built the present building on approximately the same site as the earlier house in the mid 1750s. Lancelot Brown was employed around 1765, with Samuel Lapidge as his surveyor, to work on the park. The pleasure grounds were laid out in the gardenesque style, possibly as early as 1820.
Address: Wrotham Park, Barnet, Hertfordshire, EN5 4SB
Locality: Potters Bar
Greater London; Barnet
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ248991|
South-east of A1M/M25 junction 23.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: country house
Site first created: 1754
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 116