Wotton Underwood, (also known as Wotton House, Aylesbury Vale), Bicester, England
Record Id: 3595
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Wotton Underwood is a mid-18th-century park, landscape and woodland. At its most extensive the grounds covered about 800 hectares. The land is now in divided use.
Brief history of site
A series of radial avenues was laid out by 1649. Between 1704 and 1714 Richard Grenville built a house on a new site, possibly about 300 metres south of the earlier manor house. The house was surrounded by formal garden enclosures, and Grenville seems to have laid out a landscape, possibly with the help of George London. Lancelot Brown worked at Wotton briefly in 1739-1740, and it is believed that Brown returned to Wotton over a number of years in the 1750s, during which time he landscaped the park. The landscape remained largely undisturbed after the mid-18th century.
Address: Wotton Manor, Wotton Underwood, Buckinghamshire, HP18 0SB
Buckinghamshire; Aylesbury Vale; Wotton Underwood
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SP685162|
South-east of Bicester, south of the A41.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: manor house
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 190