Wotton House, Dorking, England
Record Id: 3594
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Wotton House has Italian gardens of around 5 hectares. It was the family home of Evelyns, and is now a conference centre.
Brief history of site
The layout was started in 1643, but mainly dates from 1651-52 by John Evelyn with George Evelyn. The site was partly remade in the 19th century, when the enclosing walls were removed.
Address: Guildford Road, Wotton, RH5 6HS
Surrey; Mole Valley; Wotton
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||187||Grid Ref:||TQ122470|
The site is on the A25 between Dorking and Guildford. There is also a railway station in Dorking.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: commercial
Site Style : Italianate garden
Site first created: 1643 to 1652
Main period of development: Mid 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 20