Woodhall Park, Hertford, England
Record Id: 3568
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Woodhall Park is an 18th-century landscape park and woodland which originally covered about 200 hectares. There was further 19th-century development in the region of house. A garden of half a hectare was laid out by Brenda Colvin in 1958, beside the stables. Much of the parkland has now been returned to agriculture.
Brief history of site
The Boteler family acquired the manor of Watton in the 14th century, and later erected the brick building that was to remain the principal seat of the family until 1774. Sir Thomas Rumbold bought the estate around 1777. He demolished the remains of the house which had partly burnt out in 1771, building a new one designed by Thomas Leverton by around 1780. In 1782-3 an extensive planting programme was put in hand, together with the construction of the walled kitchen gardens. William Malcolm and Son probably laid out the landscape park which was developed at about this time, when the Broad Water lake was formed with ornamental features at both ends.
Address: Woodhall Park, Watton-at-Stone, Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG14 3NG
Hertfordshire; East Hertfordshire; Watton-at-Stone
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL317185|
North of Hertford.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: 1777 to 1783
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 150