Woodchester Park, Stroud, England
Record Id: 3564
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Woodchester Park has the remains of an extensive 18th-century landscaped park of around 400 hectares, with a 19th-century mansion near the western end. One of the Repton's sons was involved. Gilpin's involvement is uncertain.
Brief history of site
An estate, park, and lodge were put together in the Inchbrook valley from 1580. From 1703, the lodge was replaced by a new house, probably associated with which were formal gardens. In 1782 Lancelot Brown was brought in and Woodchester surveyed but no changes, at least directly, seem to have followed. In 1845 a new mansion was commissioned to replace the old house, but was never completed.
Address: Nympsfield, GL10 3TS
Gloucestershire; Stroud; Woodchester
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||162||Grid Ref:||SO799014|
The gardens are off the B4066 4 miles south-west of Stroud.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open daily from 9 am until dusk throughout the year.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: mansion house
Plant type/environment: water garden
Main period of development: 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 400