Wolterton Hall, North Norfolk, England
Record Id: 3558
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Wolterton Hall has an 18th-century park and woodland set within a larger agricultural estate. The park contains evidence of the village of Wolverton, including the church tower which is still visible. The 18th-century walled garden is currently used as a smallholding by an organic food company.
Brief history of site
From 1722, Horatio Walpole, brother of Sir Robert Walpole, began a programme of updating the hall and grounds, the latter in the late geometric style with terraces and a large canal. A new hall was built after a fire in 1724. The final formal layout included a lake, kitchen garden, sunken bowling green, and southern vista framed by groves. George Stanley Repton was commissioned to enlarge the Hall in 1828 and in 1829 the landscape gardener W.S. Gilpin designed an elaborate new parterre for the south front, new curved drives and woodlands through the park, and exotic planting for an arboretum in Pleasure Ground Plantation.
Address: Erpingham, North Walsham, NR11 7BB
Locality: North Norfolk
Norfolk; North Norfolk; Erpingham
Historical County: Norfolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||133||Grid Ref:||TG163318|
Opening contact details:
The park is open daily from 9 am. The hall is open on Fridays between April and October. Group visits can also be arranged.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1720 to 1729
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 180