Wollaton Hall, Nottingham, England
Record Id: 3556
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Wollaton Hall is now the Nottingham Natural History Museum and the attached landscape park is a public park. There are also formal gardens close to the hall. The site is owned by Nottingham City Council which is restoring the site. The site is designated under the Reservoirs Act.
Brief history of site
The park was enclosed for deer and wild white cattle between 1492 and 1510. A large number of garden and park buildings were built in the latter half of the 18th and early years of the 19th century, and considerable expense was lavished on improvements to the park. The formal gardens were created in the 19th century. The 11th Lord Middleton sold the estate to the Corporation of Nottingham in 1924-25. Part of the estate was sold off for housing development, whilst the rest was split between a public park and a golf course. The public park was opened in 1926.
Address: Wollaton Hall, Wollaton Park, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG8 2AE
Nottingham; Wollaton East and Lenton Abbey
Historical County: Nottinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||129||Grid Ref:||SK 531 392|
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily, except for during the Christmas break. The park opens at 8 am during the week and 9 am at weekends.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: museum
Site first created: 1926
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 203