Woburn Abbey, Bedfordshire, England
Record Id: 3551
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Woburn Abbey is a country mansion surrounded by a medieval deer park and 18th-century landscape park, part of which is now used as wildlife park. There are formal and ornamental gardens adjacent to the Abbey, occupying about 17 hectares in area.
Brief history of site
Woburn Abbey, founded in 1145 on the site of the present house, was given in 1547 to Sir John Russell of Chenies. By 1661 a series of enclosed gardens had been laid out to the west of the house, within a park enclosing various areas of woodland. There were major developments of the landscape in the 18th and early 19th centuries. George London, Charles Bridgeman and Humphry Repton all worked at the site. The house and gardens opened to the public in 1955, followed by the safari park.
Address: Woburn Abbey, Woburn, Bedfordshire, MK17 9WA
Central Bedfordshire; Woburn
Historical County: Bedfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||153||Grid Ref:||SP965325|
Off the A4012, south of M1 junction 13.
Opening contact details:
The grounds are open daily except 24, 25 and 26 December, 10am to 4.30pm.
Visitor centre, parking, WCs, shop, refreshments, some disabled access.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: 1655 to 1661
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 1200