Wivenhoe House, (also known as Wivenhoe Park), Colchester, England
Record Id: 3550
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Wivenhoe House has a 34 hectare landscape park established on the site of a former deer park between 1776 and 1780 by Richard Woods. The gardens around the house were laid out in the late-1840s by W A Nesfield. The western half of the park now has an extensive range of university buildings. The house was converted into a conference centre in 1977.
Brief history of site
In 1758 Issac Martin Rebow commissioned Thomas Reynolds to design the house and seven years later employed the landscaper Richard Woods to design a new park, the laying out of which did not commence until 1776. John Gurdon commissioned the architect Thomas Hopper to remodel the house in 1846 and William Andrews Nesfield to advise on the planting of the park and the flower garden.
Address: Wivenhoe House, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex, CO4 3SQ
Essex; Colchester; Wivenhoe
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||168||Grid Ref:||TM031241|
Opening contact details:
Essex University Colchester campus.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: university
Site first created: 1776 to 1780
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 34