Belhus Park, Thurrock, England
Record Id: 355
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Belhus Park is the remnant of a mid 18th century landscape park, now a golf course.
Brief history of site
Belhus Park has medieval origins. Belhus House was rebuilt some time in the early-16th century. In 1618 Sir Edward Barrett obtained a license to make a park, and the elaborate parterre shown on an estate map of 1619 was probably of the same date. The grounds were developed between 1753 and 1763 by Lancelot Brown. The house was demolished in 1957, and the park purchased by Essex County Council as a recreational facility.
Address: Belhus Park, South Ockendon, Thurrock, Essex, RM15 4QR
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ570813|
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily, 8am to dusk
01 708 865628
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: golf course
Context or principal building: golf course
Site first created: Before 1618
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 119