Witton Cemetery, Birmingham, England
Record Id: 3549
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Witton Cemetery is laid out in the open park style, and occupies about 40 hectares. The cemetery is enclosed from the surrounding roads by red-brick walls some 2.5 metres high. Features include several entrances, a number of avenues and a war memorial. The Anglican chapel, in gothic style, survives, as does a later Jewish prayer hall. The Roman Catholic and Nonconformist chapels were demolished in around 1980.
Brief history of site
The site was chosen in 1859 and schemes were invited for the laying out of the cemetery. The buildings were designed by R Clarke of Nottingham, though the layout and planting were undertaken by Ashwell of Coventry. The new cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester on 23 May 1863, and opened for burials on 28 May.
Address: Witton Cemetery, Moor Lane, Birmingham, B6 7AE
West Midlands; Birmingham; Aston
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP082921|
North of Aston, north of Birmingham city centre. On the north side of the M6 between the A453 and the A4040.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site open daily from 8.30am during the week and 10am at weekends. Closing times vary seasonally.
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: chapel
Site first created: 1860 to 1863
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 40