Witley Court, Droitwich, England
Record Id: 3548
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Witley Court is a ruined mid-19th-century house in an older landscape park, itself overlaid on a 16th-century deer park. Around the house are the remains of a large formal garden of the mid-19th century by W.A. Nesfield.
Brief history of site
The deer park was recorded by Saxton in 1577, and on later maps. An ornamental garden within a landscape park developed gradually during the 17th and 18th centuries. The garden was remodelled on a large scale after 1846 by W.A. Nesfield for Lord Dudley.
Address: Great Witley, Worcester, WR6 6JT
Worcestershire; Malvern Hills; Great Witley
Historical County: Worcestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||150||Grid Ref:||SO769649|
Eight miles north-west of Worcester via the A443.
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily from 10 am between April and October. It is open from Wednesdays to Sundays throughout the rest of the year.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1577
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 350