Wisley Gardens, Woking, England
Record Id: 3545
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The 97-hectare gardens (65 hectares registered) at Wisley belong to the Royal Horticultural Society. Individual areas include alpine plants, fruit and flowers, model gardens, an arboretum and trials of new plant introductions.
Brief history of site
The site originally featured experimental wild gardens covering 24 hectares, developed between 1878 and 1902 by G.F. Wilson. The Royal Horticultural Society acquired the gardens in 1903, which were laid out and extended under S.T. Wright and later superintendents.
Address: Woking, Surrey, GU23 6QB
Surrey; Guildford; Wisley
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||187||Grid Ref:||TQ063581|
The site is south of the M25 at junction 10, off the A3. Please see:https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley/plan-your-visit/how-to-get-here
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open all year from 10am to 6pm, closing earlier in the winter.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Horticultural
Context or principal building: education
Site first created: 1878 to 1903
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 97