Wimbledon Park, (also known as Wimbledon House), Greater London, England
Record Id: 3527
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
The 18th-century landscape park originally covered some 480 hectares. This land is now in divided use. There is a golf course, tennis grounds, cricket ground, and a public park with a lake. The lake is a survivor from the earlier landscape and is one of the largest in London. The park opened to the public in about 1914.
Brief history of site
The original Wimbledon House was built in the 16th century. The formal gardens beside the 17th century house were designed by Andre Mollet, John Evelyn advised in the later part of 17th century, and Charles Bridgeman was consulted in 1731-1732. A new house was built in 1733. From 1765 Lancelot Brown was commissioned to landscape the park. Between 1799 and 1802 the house was rebuilt. During the 1870s much of the park was sold for housing development, and the house was demolished in 1949. The northern part of the park was bought by the then Borough of Wimbledon in 1914 and made into a public open space. At about the same time a private golf course was laid out.
Address: Wimbledon Park, Home Park Road, Wimbledon, SW19 7HX
Locality: Greater London
Greater London; Merton; Wimbledon Park
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ247724|
The park can be accessed from the Wimbledon Park Road.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park for general public use. It is open from 8am - dusk (weekdays); 9am - dusk (weekends/Bank Holidays).
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 60