Wilton House, Salisbury, England
Record Id: 3525
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Wilton is an 18th-century landscape garden, with a 19th-century Italian garden. The gardens lie within a park, woodland and agricultural land of some 363 hectares.
Brief history of site
The land and manors at Wilton were granted to the church around AD 871 and it became an abbey. In 1542 Henry VIII gave the site to William Herbert, whose family have owned it since. A new house was built, of which only the entrance porch has survived, and enclosed a park in about 1550. Before 1623 Adrian Gilbert laid out gardens and walks. In about 1632 formal gardens were laid out to designs by Isaac de Caus. By 1669, the park included a grotto, a maze, several fountains, and possibly various new buildings. After 1733 the Wilton landscape underwent significant changes. The formal gardens were removed and re-landscaped, new avenues and garden buildings were added.
Address: Wilton, SP2 0BJ
Historical County: Wiltshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||184||Grid Ref:||SU100310|
The site is south of the A36 Salisbury Road, east of Wilton.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open from April to August every day from 11 am, and weekends only in September.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1550
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 363