Widcombe Manor, Bath, England
Record Id: 3512
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Widcombe Manor has a garden terrace and landscape dating from the 18th century. It was extensively developed in the 1930s. Features include a summerhouse, a forecourt and a fountain.
Brief history of site
The present garden may occupy land formerly part of the priors' deer park, while the house is built on the site of a former large farm or manor house probably dating from medieval times. Between 1727 and 1730 Philip Bennet rebuilt the house and laid out a small landscape garden. Little was changed in the designed landscape during the 18th century after its initial construction phase. Horace Annesley Vachell bought the estate in 1927 and made significant alterations to the garden layout near the house, advised by Harold Peto.
Address: Widcombe Manor, Church Street, Widcombe, BA2 6AZ
Bath and North East Somerset; Widcombe
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST759639|
Form of site: terraced garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: manor house
Site first created: 1727 to 1730
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 3.5