West Wycombe Park, High Wycombe, England
Record Id: 3487
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
West Wycombe Park has an 18th-century rococo landscape garden of 18.5 hectares, situated within a larger landscape park occupying about 135 hectares. The gardens are associated with an agricultural estate of about 2000 hectares, which is now in separate ownership.
Brief history of site
The Dashwoods acquired the manor of West Wycombe in 1698. Replacing the 17th century manor house near the village, Sir Francis Dashwood built the core of the current house about 1710-1715. His son effected a complete transformation of the house and estate between 1735 and 1781 when he died, leaving it largely as it is today. The succeeding Dashwoods did not materially alter the house or the landscape except for necessary replanting and the restoration of some buildings. Humphry Repton advised in the 1790s, and seems to have removed some garden buildings.
Address: West Wycombe Park, West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14 3AJ
Locality: High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire; Wycombe; West Wycombe
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SU829943|
2 miles west of High Wycombe, on the south side of the Oxford road.
Opening contact details:
The grounds are open from April to August from 2 - 6 pm. It is closed on Fridays and Saturdays.
Free parking. Limited disabled access. No dogs. No picnics.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: 1710 to 1781
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 135