West Dean, Chichester, England
Record Id: 3469
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
West Dean features around 8 hectares of formal and ornamental gardens, 1.5 hectares of kitchen gardens and 203 hectares of parkland, arboretum and woodland. The site is now a centre for conservation and restoration, and the visual and applied arts. The gardens have been much improved and restored.
Brief history of site
The park was first recorded in 1066 but its original creation date is unknown. The estate passed by marriage in 1738 to the Peachy family, Sir John carrying out alterations to the Jacobean house and beginning to lay out the grounds adjacent to it. The gardens were laid out by Gertrude Jekyll and Harold Peto in the late-19th century.
West Sussex; Chichester; West Dean
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU863126|
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily from 10.30 am, except in late December and January.
Form of site: park
Purpose of site: Educational
Context or principal building: college
Site first created: 1738
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 213