Werrington Park, Launceston, England
Record Id: 3464
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Werrington Park covers around 157 hectares surrounding a country house. The site was developed in the 1740s and, particularly, in the mid-1770s, with the addition of an early-20th century arboretum.
Brief history of site
In the medieval period Werrington was one of the estates of the Abbot of Tavistock. Nicholas Morice undertook extensive alterations to the house and grounds in the early and mid-18th century. In 1775 the estate was sold to the first Duke of Northumberland. He made improvements to the estate, including enclosing an extended park and building two bridges and a temple.
Address: Werrington Park, Werrington, Launceston, Cornwall, PL15 8TU
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||190||Grid Ref:||SX332871|
On the north side of Launceston.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1700 to 1799
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 157