Welbeck Abbey, Nottinghamshire, England
Record Id: 3450
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Welbeck Abbey has a late-18th century landscape park with woodland. The site occupies about 1140 hectares. There are extensive 19th and 20th-century formal gardens in the vicinity of the house.
Brief history of site
Welbeck Abbey, a Premonstratensian foundation, was established in 1153-4 by Thomas de Cuckney. Some developments took place under private ownership after the Dissolution. Designs by William Talman and Sir John Vanbrugh were discussed in 1703 but nothing was built. Building work was carried out in the early 1760s and late 1770s by John Carr of York, including a chapel in 1763. Humphry Repton produced Red Books in 1790, 1793, and 1803 for the third Duke, William Henry Cavendish Bentinck. Alfred Parsons and Walter Partridge worked on the gardens from 1899 to 1905.
Address: Welbeck Abbey, Nottinghamshire, S80 3LZ
Nottinghamshire; Bassetlaw; Welbeck
Historical County: Nottinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||120||Grid Ref:||SK 563 742|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: country house
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 1140