Warstone Lane Cemetery, Birmingham, England
Record Id: 3431
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Warstone Lane Cemetery was opened in 1848 and now closed for burials. It occupies about four hectares, and features a Gothic-style entrance lodge and two-tier catacombs. There is also a Tudor Gothic style gate lodge and a large glacial boulder known as the War-Stone, from which the cemetery takes its name.
Brief history of site
Warstone Lane Cemetery was established by Birmingham Church of England Cemetery Company and opened in 1848. The architect was J R Hamilton of the Gloucester firm Hamilton and Medland. The chapel was damaged during World War 2 and was demolished in 1958.
Address: Warstone Lane Cemetery, Warstone Lane, Hockley, Birmingham , B18 6NN
West Midlands; Birmingham
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP059 878|
Birmingham city centre
Opening contact details:
The site is open from 8.30am during the week and 10am at weekends. Closing times vary seasonally.
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: cemetery
Site first created: 1848
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 4